Copy-once template directories

From: Geoff Davis
Subject: Copy-once template directories
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:16:39 -0700

Hi all,

I have a software package that I'm trying to install and keep up to date via CFEngine using the copy action. Upon first installation of this software package, I need to create several data directories and populate them with some initial data files. After these directories have been installed, I don't want to touch the contents of them.

Using the ctime and mtime parameters to copy doesn't work in our case because the software package I am installing may have deleted a file in the data directory, and I don't want it to come back when cfengine runs. Additionally, when we un-tar a new release of the software package into our masterfiles tree, the creation time on the data directory may change. We don't want this to trigger CFEngine to copy over the data files.

I was thinking of using a files action to check for the existence of the data directory and set define a class, but our action_sequence is defined such that the copy action is run before the files action. This is because we have some files that we copy over, then check the permissions with the files action. Switching their order would leave us in the wrong state.

Does anybody have a suggestion for copying a directory once and only once, and then leaving the contents of that directory alone after that?

Thanks,
Geoff