Re: [Cfengine] shellcommands: 3: Bad file descriptor]

From: Bas van der Vlies
Subject: Re: [Cfengine] shellcommands: 3: Bad file descriptor]
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:49:09 +0200

Michael Chesterton wrote:
Michael Chesterton <chesty@unconcerned.org> writes:

cool, that's something I've been searching for without luck.

After pulling my hair out, I finally nailed it.

Not quite, it didn't work from cfservd.

What I found was something is setting DEBCONF_REDIR=1.  Which means
this line never gets executed "exec 3>&1 1>&2", which means file
descriptor 3 is never opened hence the error.

Also found I needed to unset DEBIAN_HAS_FRONTEND.

Not sure what's going on here.

It's still not working, though, now I'm getting a file not found, or
no such device (can't remember) error message about /dev/tty.

After reading your email, the defaukt SARGE package has an error in it when running cfrun/cfservd/cfagent/apt-commands. I think it is fixed in
2.1.15 and higher. There is an thread on this subject.

Just read the changelog of my cfengine2 package is on hold an has version 2.14.2: (It is my own patch ;-) )
  cfengine2 (2.1.14-2) unstable; urgency=high

  * set in cfservd.c SIG_CHLD to SIG_DFL instead of SIG_IGN

 -- Bas van der Vlies <basv@sara.nl>  Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:08:02 +0200

then DEBIAN_HAS_FRONTEND must be set and everything is oke. I can put this version on our ftp server if you want

Regards