Re: Cannot copy to MacOS 10.4 clients

From: James Harrison
Subject: Re: Cannot copy to MacOS 10.4 clients
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:18:06 -0500

Ok, this is plain nuts.  I do not have any problems with my Linux boxes,
but these MACS are not cooperating.

I brought a brand new Mac in the lab.  I installed cf-2.1.16a on the
Mac.

I was able to copy a file just once to the client.  Then I begin to get
SIGPIPE errors.  Also this copy action only works if I do not specify
the name of the machine as a class.

In other words:

control:
        actionsequence = ( copy )
        mymasterfiles = ( /var/masterfiles/filestocopy )

copy:
        $(mymasterfiles)/filename
        dest=/tmp/filename
        server=192.168.1.10

This copies the filename file one time.  Subsequently it fails with
signal 13 (SIGPIPE) errors.

control:
        actionsequence = ( copy )
        mymasterfiles = ( /var/masterfiles/filestocopy )

copy:
        thenameofthemachine::
                $(mymasterfiles)/filename
                dest=/tmp/filename
                server=192.168.1.10

This fails with Image loop: file/dir copies itself......

Forward and reverse DNS queries resolve correctly.

--
James Harrison, RHCE
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: Cannot copy to MacOS 10.4 clients Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 07:33:47 +0200

The agent believe you are trying to copy a file to itself (on the same
host). Is there are problem with name resolution?

The server apparently responds however. From which host?

It is impossible for diagnose without more info.

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 15:57 -0500, James Harrison wrote:
> I seem to be making some progress. I am still having trouble copying
> files to the Macs.  I am now getting an "Image loop: file/dir...."
> error.
>
> cfagent -q -d 2
>
> indicates that it is attempting to use server=localhost and not
> server=myserver.  I have server=myserver defined in my script.
>

> Begin pass with server = localhost
> Transformed server localhost into localhost
> cf:cfengine::/var/cfengine/inputs/myfile.cf:11: Image loop: file/dir
> copies to itself or missing destination file
> Get2DListEnt()
> InitializeAction()
>    END InstallPending]
>
> It then doesn't try to ever complete a pass using my defined server.
>
> email message attachment, "Forwarded message - Re: Cannot copy to
> MacOS 10.4 clients"
> On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 15:57 -0500, James Harrison wrote:
> > I'm now running 2.1.16a on the client (MacOS 10.4) and 2.1.15 on the
> > server.
> >
> > The problem persists.
> >
> > I'm still getting the SIGPIPE errrors.
> >
> > Also the server is logging:
> >
> > cfservd[7876]: Denying connection from <client ip address>
> >

> > The update.conf and other cf files copy fine.  I've checked forward and
> > reverse DNS.  The clients are in the proper group.
> >
> > Sheesh, what could I be missing?
> >
> > Like I said previously, I've tested an alternative Linux machine and the
> > files copy perfectly.
> >
> > TIA

--- End Message ---