Re: SIGPIPE problem

From: Ed Brown
Subject: Re: SIGPIPE problem
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:12:08 -0600

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 12:35, Eric Sorenson wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Ed Brown wrote:
> > Do you specify a splaytime in update.conf?  If not, the actions in
> > update.conf run immediately.  Perhaps those are the initial activity you
> > see?  The splaytime specified in cfagent.conf applies to the rest of
> > cfengine's actions.
>
> Not quite true, splaytime is global; if you have a splay in update and
> one in main, cfagent only splays once -- before it begins updating.

I hadn't thought about what would happen if splaytime were specified in
both locations, and didn't mean to indicate this is necessary or
desirable.

We used to put it in cfagent.conf, and I was puzzled why every client
was connecting to the server at the top of the hour, until this was
explained here on this list before.

I should have said "if the splaytime is specified ONLY in cfagent.conf",
then it might explain the apparent 'hanging' that Yaroslav is seeing,
because the actions in update.conf won't be delayed.

Thanks for clarifying.
Ed