RE: Optimizing large copies

From: Martin, Jason H
Subject: RE: Optimizing large copies
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:09:51 -0700

While I agree that security takes longer, I'd suggest that a lot of the
time is spent on the highly syncronous nature of the network sync
operation. Looking at strace output, the procedure appears to be
something like:

1: stat a file
2. checksum a file
3. send request to master server to SYNC file
4. server checksums file
5. server returns results
6. client compares.

I think performance would be increased significantly if #3 was somehow
batched up into blocks larger then 1.  Perhaps at every directory level,
all the files in the directory (non-recursively) could be batched up and
send in a single request, without sacrificing security.

Thank you,
-Jason Martin