RE: Bulk install of Sun .pkg Packages with CFEngine

From: Dan Gilbert
Subject: RE: Bulk install of Sun .pkg Packages with CFEngine
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:25:37 -0700

In Solaris 8 or 9, it seems you can do this:

usage:
        pkgadd [-nvi] [-d device] [[-M] -R host_path] [-V fs_file] [-a
admin_file] [-r response] [-x proxy] [-k keystore] [ -P passwd] [-Y
category[,category ...] | pkg [pkg ...]]
        pkgadd -s dir [-d device] [-x proxy] [-k keystore] [-P passwd] [-Y
category[,category ...] | pkg [pkg ...]]

Why not clear out the /var/spool/pkg folder, copy your packages there, use an
admin file that makes things non-interactive, and just use pkgadd <package list
with spaces>?

I've used that in the past on the command line, so I would infer that it could
also be done via cfengine in some sort of class that looks for the packages
with pkginfo and then copies and installs them if the target packages aren't
there.

Am I missing something in your orginal post?

Dan Gilbert, GCIH
Sr. Systems Engineer
Advanced iTV Systems/Production Operations
Digeo, Inc.