Re: Bulk install of Sun .pkg Packages with CFEngine

From: Geoff Davis
Subject: Re: Bulk install of Sun .pkg Packages with CFEngine
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:35:01 -0700

Dan,
That was my plan initially. However pkgadd doesn't parse through multiple *.pkg files (aka streamed packages). It seems to treat a .pkg file logically like a directory containing unstreamed packages. Thus, you use the -d option to specify a spool directory of unstreamed files or a .pkg file. You cannot point pkgadd at a directory full of .pkg files and expect it to Do The Right Thing (TM).

There's a couple of different approaches that can be taken to solve this, I was just wondering if anybody had already rolled a solution that I could steal.

Solution 1:
(as proposed by greg@doodoo.darktech.org in another email in this thread) Take all of my packages that I want to distribute, unstream them with pkgtrans to convert them from multiple .pkg files to the directory- based unstreamed format, then restream them back into one M-m- mega .pkg file.
Pros:
This solves the problem of needing to copy a million and one files/ directories over, which cfengine does not excel at.
Cons:
The downside is that I have to generate this mega package file every time I upgrade a package. It's further complicated by the fact that my CFEngine master server is a Linux box, and thus it doesn't have the Sun pkg_splat tools.

Solution 2:
Copy the various .pkg files over to the client to a junk directory, then trigger a command action to use the unstreaming capability of pkgadd to spool up the package files in /var/spool/pkg. So I would copy all of the .pkg files to a junk directory, say /var/tmp/ packages, then run: find /var/tmp/packages -name "*.pkg" -exec pkgadd -s /var/spool/pkg - d \{\} \;
Pros:
This also solves the problem of not copying a million and one files over, but does not require generating the m-m-mega package as proposed in Solution 1.
Cons:
The downside is that now the package files are stored on the CFEngine client systems in two different formats and two different locations.

Solution 3:
Copy the various .pkg files over to the client to some junk directory. Then, write a wrapper around pkginfo and pkgadd that generates a list of what .pkg file provides what packages, and use that list to call pkgadd as necessary on a particular .pkg file. I would then use this yet-to-be-written wrapper script as the SUNInstallCommand.
Pros:
Packages aren't stored twice on the client, and it's easy to put a new version of a package in place.
Cons:
It's not written yet (to my knowledge), and there might be some trickiness with multiple .pkg files providing the same package.

So I guess to rephrase my question, has anyone written or know of a magic script that does Solution 3?

Thanks,
Geoff