Help with OS X - Couldn't lookup IP Address failure

From: Harrison, James
Subject: Help with OS X - Couldn't lookup IP Address failure
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 09:51:27 -0500

List,

I've successfully deployed CFE on 5 OS X(10.4) boxes.  I've had some
fits and starts, but these seem to be running along just fine.

However, I have 2 that I cannot, for the life of me, get to successfully
authenticate and copy files from the server.

The agent complains with:

cfengine:hou-idsint: Couldn't lookup IP address
cfengine:hou-idsint: gethostbyaddr: Unknown error: 0
cfengine:hou-idsint: Id-authentication for hou-idsint.mydomain.com failed
cfengine:hou-idsint: Unable to establish connection with
bwd-lnxpatch.mydomain.com (failover)

On the client I can successfully do a host lookup on the hou-idsint name and it
returns the IP.
        hou-idsint:~ root# host hou-idsint
        hou-idsint.americancolor.com has address 10.5.1.210

However, when I try and do "ping hou-idsint" I get:
        hou-idsint:~ root# ping hou-idsint
        ping: cannot resolve hou-idsint: Unknown host

The hostname command returns:
        hou-idsint:~ root# hostname
        hou-idsint.mydomain.com

I know that OS X uses netinfo, which I'm not at all familiar with, but I
was wondering what might be causing this to fail.

Any CFE OS X guru's out there?

Thanks
--
James Harrison, RHCE