Re: Tiered admins with cfengine

From: Mark McCullough
Subject: Re: Tiered admins with cfengine
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:22:57 -0500

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 09:56 -0400, Jason Edgecombe wrote:

> Basically, how can we partition the cfengine set up between admins, but
> still inherit a config from central it? Do we have to use different
> cfengine servers for this?

I've used two different approaches...

1. Totally unrelated cfengine repositories.

2. Assume there are a small number of truly trusted admins who are
authorized to have root on all the systems in question, but are not the
primary SAs.  Create a master cfengine config file that imports a groups
file and a "imports" file like so:

cfagent.conf...

import:
  cf.grouplist.main
  cf.imports

In your cf.imports list, you can then specify by group which servers
import which files...

cf.imports...

import:
  college1::
    cf.college1

  group2::
    cf.group2

Then it is simply a matter of giving write access to the source files of
those specific files.  I try hard to keep my source files in a directory
outside of /var/cfengine/inputs/.  In my case, I
use /usr/depot/cfengine/.  That way cfengine does not get picky that
someone other than root can write to the file.  It is explicit who can
write to the file by group membership on the trusted central host.

--
mmccul@earthlink.net                                   Mark McCullough
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that