RE: Tiered admins with cfengine / dual control

From: Luke Kanies
Subject: RE: Tiered admins with cfengine / dual control
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:46:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Martin, Jason H wrote:

> Along the same lines, has anyone implemented a system such that there is
> no one person capable of pushing out changes?  I'm talking about a
> system analogous to the nuclear missile keys that require 2 people to
> agree to launch.
>
> The scenario here is how would the college protect itself from Jason
> Edgecombe, as a top-level SA, deciding to bring down the entire
> university infrastruture.
>
> CFE doesn't support this directly, but perhaps it could be managed via a
> module. I'm thinking it'd have to be based on two different master
> servers agreeing on a configuration, with discrepencies causing CFE to
> fail into a internal-maintenance-only mode. Assuming that each master
> server has a mutually exclusive set of root users, it'd have to be
> something that none of them could subvert on their own.

This is generally called 'change management' (as opposed to normal usage
of cfengine, which would qualify as 'configuration management'), and is
the next problem typically encountered when config mgmt is brought under
control.

There's a lot more to it than just who signs off, of course -- things
like migrating from one version of a configuration to another, upgrading
sets of applications (e.g., new versions of a three tier web
architecture), making changes slowly, so that not all systems are
upgraded at the same time (thus potentially causing an outage when all
of your web servers reload their configs), and plenty else.

Some of the commercial tools (BladeLogic and OpsWare) make some stabs at
this, although I wouldn't say any of them have solved it, but I haven't
seen any of the OSS tools even try for it yet.  That's one of the things
I probably should have mentioned about OpsWare vs. cfengine -- both
OpsWare and BladeLogic are backed by databases, not flat files, and
they've implemented role-based access control to the databases (notably
_not_ the systems, just the db that controls the configs for the
systems).  That can make a big difference for some shops.

It's definitely not a simple problem, and it brings up the whole 'roles'
problem, which is somewhat unsolveable with flat files like cfengine
(and puppet) uses.

--
True Terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high
school class is running the country.     -- Kurt Vonnegut