feature request

From: Brendan Strejcek
Subject: feature request
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:20:15 -0500

Many of my servers have an arbitrary host name and a meaningful DNS
alias service name. It is impractical for cfagent to figure out all the
aliases that map back to a particular hostname, but checking a single
DNS alias should not be bad.

I would like something like this (maybe with a better function name):

    classes:
        loghost_dns_alias = ( DNSAlias(loghost) )

Currently I use nasty code like this:

    shellcommands:
        any::
            # Figure out if I am the loghost.
            "/bin/test `hostname` = `host loghost|perl
-e'${dollar}_=<>;s/.*alias for (.*)\./${dollar}1/;print'`"
                define=loghost
        loghost::
            "/do/stuff"

Just an idea.

Or if anyone has a better idea for how to accomplish the same thing...

Best,
Brendan

--
Senior System Administrator