Re: Ideas on Failover/Load Balancing

From: Jason Martin
Subject: Re: Ideas on Failover/Load Balancing
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 19:34:39 -0400

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 06:51:47PM -0400, Brian E. Seppanen wrote:
> I'm planning on deploying a server soon that will be a mirror of my
> masterhost.   Would anyone be willing to provide some details on
> how they've gone about the process of deploying a server for failover/load
> balancing?
You have a couple of options.

1: Use some sort of network appliance to do the load balancing.
This means you'll have to have the same private key on each host
or clients will be confused. Also keep in mind that connections
coming in from the master server to the clients may come from a
different address then the virtual ip. I think the applicance
would have to be transparent, otherwise the server will get
confused as to the clients ppkey.

2: Use a module to determine which master server to check with.
Make sure this module will *always* return at least one of them
or else you risk locking yourself out of the clients.

3: Use a 'strategy' to decide which master server to connect with.
This works for load balancing but would require a rule change to
handle a failure situation well, otherwise hosts would randomly
be getting rule updates.

4: Use the copy statement 'failover' options to make one of the
hosts the failover server.  * This would be a nice candidte for
another 'defaultable' option simliar to the DefaultCopyType
option.

-Jason Martin
--
This message is PGP/MIME signed.