RE: Ideas on Failover/Load Balancing

From: David Masterson
Subject: RE: Ideas on Failover/Load Balancing
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:20:56 -0700

Jason Martin wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 06:51:47PM -0400, Brian E. Seppanen wrote:
>> I'm planning on deploying a server soon that will be a mirror of my
>> masterhost.   Would anyone be willing to provide some details on
>> how they've gone about the process of deploying a server for
>> failover/load balancing?

> You have a couple of options.
>
> 1: Use some sort of network appliance to do the load balancing.
> This means you'll have to have the same private key on each host
> or clients will be confused. Also keep in mind that connections
> coming in from the master server to the clients may come from a
> different address then the virtual ip. I think the applicance
> would have to be transparent, otherwise the server will get
> confused as to the clients ppkey.

Are ppkeys hardware dependent?  That is, if I have a system failover (move)
to another box (ie. new hardware box, but everything else the same), is it's
ppkey going to be different?  I've been thinking about this issue with
respect to moving virtual machines around to different hardware boxes.

--
David Masterson
VMware, Inc.