RE: Upgrading CFE with CFE

From: Martin, Jason H
Subject: RE: Upgrading CFE with CFE
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:42:12 -0700

My concern with having cfagent or a child thereof perform the update is
this scenario:
1. cfexecd launches cfagent
2. Something called by cfagent (cf.preconf, shellcommand, proceses, etc)
notices the change and kills cfexecd and cfservd in preparation for
restarting them
3. cfexecd gets the kill signal and exits
4. cfagent gets a signal that cfexecd exited and exits. If it was
performing the change, it exits before cfexecd is restarted.
5. If cf.preconf was performing the change, it gets a signal that
cfagent exited and exits before cfservd / cfexecd is restarted.
<splat>

If that happens I would have to either resurrect everything via cfservd
or get several people to each log in to a lot of machines to manually
restart it. It is most preferential to avoid the latter :>

The procedure I had in mind was:
1. cfexecd launches cfagent
2. cfagent overwrites cfagent / cfexecd / cfservd with the updated
version.
3. cfagent kills and restarts cfservd
4. cfagent exits
5. cfagent is invoked via cfservd