RE: Upgrading CFE with CFE

From: Mark McCullough
Subject: RE: Upgrading CFE with CFE
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:42:31 -0500

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 13:42 -0700, Martin, Jason H wrote:
> My concern with having cfagent or a child thereof perform the update is
> this scenario:
> 1. cfexecd launches cfagent
> 2. Something called by cfagent (cf.preconf, shellcommand, proceses, etc)
> notices the change and kills cfexecd and cfservd in preparation for
> restarting them
> 3. cfexecd gets the kill signal and exits
> 4. cfagent gets a signal that cfexecd exited and exits. If it was
> performing the change, it exits before cfexecd is restarted.
> 5. If cf.preconf was performing the change, it gets a signal that
> cfagent exited and exits before cfservd / cfexecd is restarted.
> <splat>

[snip]

I make a special class in cfengine that detects if a new version is
available.  If so, then it submits an at job that does the full upgrade.
Since it is in an at job, killing all the cfengine daemons doesn't
hurt the job doing the upgrade.  (I usually use package management
of some form or another to simplify the actual upgrade.)

So in my case the procedure would be:
Submit at job that:
* kills old cfengine programs
* Installs new package
* restarts cfexecd (which restarts the other daemons in my case).

I actually used this to migrate from cfengine 1 to cfengine 2.

--
mmccul@earthlink.net                                   Mark McCullough
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that