Firewalling vs AllowConnectionsFrom

From: Marco van Beek
Subject: Firewalling vs AllowConnectionsFrom
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:59:56 +0100

Hi,

Bit of a conceptual question:

We are running the cfengine policyhost on a box that is also running Shorewall (an IP tables based firewall). At the moment Shorewall is configured to allow all connections to port 5308, and cfservd.conf has a list of valid connections in AllowConnectionsFrom.

I don't particularly want to have to maintain two lists of valid IP addresses, and at this point I am not sure I can come up with a format that both systems are happy with as a list.

The only two issues I can come up with is that if the policyhost is controlling the connections, it will report the failed connections, which might make it easier, but secondly, if I use a common list in Shorewall, I can use it for other ports (eg ssh) as well.

I guess using the firewall will be more secure, and there may be a performance benefit as cfengine isn't having to fork a new process to check every connection.

Is there anyone out there who has faced the same situation?

Regards,

Marco van Beek