Re: Need 'UncommentAndSetValue' or some such

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: Need 'UncommentAndSetValue' or some such
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:15:59 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, David Scott Coburn wrote:

Christopher Browne wrote:

The "do something equivalent to assignment" is one of the "holy grail"
sorts of things for some future release.

If this is so why has it not appeared yet?

Because the current 2.1.x is focussing on bugfixing now. I'm under the impression that plans are in the making for version 3.0 (although I'm always interested in status updates, Mark :) ). My suggestion (as anyone who examines the wiki can see) is to split editfiles off into a separate language, and then use Action Templating to allow people to embed any language they want in cfengine, whether Perl, editfiles, or something else.

(Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the complexities of programming,
and certainly the value of the time people donate to open source projects.)

It seems there are several camps here:

        ...all of which are represented on the Wiki page "Editfiles" :).

1) Those who just want this (seamingly) simple and basic capability.

Part of the problem is that some people who ask for this assume that cfengine knows something about the file structure. It doesn't, apart from ReplaceLinesMatchingField. I presume Mark would accept patches.

2) Those who want this capability but want it to be much more capable
  or robust or customizable or some such (ie those who want a programming
  language embedded in cfengine).

        This would be me.

3) Those who are willing to do the extra work of adding another layer
  of programming to their cfengine system (ie m4, perl, etc).

        This would also be me, at least at the moment.

--
Kind Regards,

Tim Nelson
Server Administrator

P: 03 9934 0888
F: 03 9934 0899
E: tim.nelson@webalive.biz
W: www.webalive.biz

WebAlive Technologies
Level 1, Innovation Building
Digital Harbour
1010 La Trobe Street
Docklands Melbourne VIC 3008

This email (including all attachments) is intended solely for the named
addressee. It is confidential and may contain legally privileged information. If
you receive it in error, please let us know by reply email, delete it from your
system and destroy any copies. This email is also subject to copyright. No
part of it should be reproduced, adapted or transmitted without the written
consent of the copyright owner.

Emails may be interfered with, may contain computer viruses or other defects
and may not be successfully replicated on other systems. We give no
warranties in relation to these matters. If you have any doubts about the
authenticity of an email purportedly sent by us, please contact us immediately.