Re: editfiles methodology question

From: Eli Stair
Subject: Re: editfiles methodology question
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 10:21:46 -0800

Fair enough.

I agree mimmic-ing the behaviour of another program just because it is "correct" in that context is not really exemplary of good practice. But in the context of those examples, it's valid.

Point being I guess that if one were interoperating with these or other similar systems, having a dichotomy in the way hostnames resolve like that can be confusing and even dangerous (if you have humans running it ;).

I actually don't have a strong opinion either way, unless there came a point when at a system-level cfengine and other software required different levels of DNS granularity. The "other" software occasionally does have a system-level requirement already.

/eli

Mark Burgess wrote:
I disagree with them.