Re: editfiles methodology question

From: Atom Powers
Subject: Re: editfiles methodology question
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 10:57:04 -0800

In principle I agree with Mark; that $host should not include the
domain; I would even go so far as to say that Kerberos and Oracle are
broken, they should use a lookup that generates $host.$domain.

But in the context of cfengine, $host could cause problems if you have
two different systems named "www.domain.net" and "www.domain.com".
(Shame on any body who uses "www" as a hostname, but I've seen worse.)
BUT, that is much easier to work around than cutting the domain
portion off a variable.