interfaces "extras"

From: Christopher Browne
Subject: interfaces "extras"
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 19:46:04 -0500

A question about the interfaces: section...

We've got some extra parameters that we commonly want to submit to
ifconfig.  The docs indicate the following parameters:

  INTERFACENAME netmask=NETMASK broadcast=BROADCAST

Can we add additional things that would be passed to ifconfig?

Pointedly, we'd like to use cfengine to manage some aliased interfaces
on AIX, where the typical command line for ifconfig is:

 /etc/ifconfig en5 inet rg650-admin-app1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
10.9.130.255 alias

What this is doing is to add the address 10.9.130.206 (aka
rg650-admin-app1) as an alias to which the ethernet card "en5" should
respond.

It looks in the source as though ifconf.c uses ioctls directly to do
things; I *presume* that means I can't use the built-in cfengine
interface definition mechanism, and will have to go straight to
"shellcommands:"

Is that right?  Or am I on crack?  :-)
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc"))