Re: 2.1.17 having issue with ExecResult() using pipelines

From: Brendan Strejcek
Subject: Re: 2.1.17 having issue with ExecResult() using pipelines
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:35:51 -0600

nathan r. hruby wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Martin, Jason H wrote:
>
> >If yada isn't in the normal path then that might be a problem; I don't
> >know what PATH will be set to when that happens. Good point.
> >

> Err.. right: here's the full real command:
>       CurrentLoad = ( ExecResult(/bin/sh -c "/bin/cat /proc/loadavg |
>       /bin/awk '{print $1}' | tr -d '\n'") )
>
> What I'm seeing in 2.1.17 is that everything after "/bin/cat" simply
> dissapears and thus no pipeline. eg, run a ps -ef while this is
> runnning and the awk and tr are not being executed. The above works in
> 2.1.14.

It might be interesting to trace the cfagent, so see exactly what it is
doing. You don't really know what snapshot you are getting when you just
run ps at a particular point in time.

Linux: strace -f cfagent -q

Solaris: truss -f cfagent -q # truss output goes to stderr

BSD (and OS X): ktrace -di cfagent -q; ktrace -C; kdump | less; rm ktrace.out

Stick an "env -i" before the cfagent if you don't want your current
environment to influence its behavior.

Also, have you tried cfagent with -d set to various levels?

Best,
Brendan

--
Senior System Administrator