Re: convergence and undoing changes

From: Alva Couch
Subject: Re: convergence and undoing changes
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:27:21 -0500

A few of you have expressed concern about my bluntness in
discussing cfengine's limitations. I apologise to Mark
and the list for this; they deserve better from me.

I am in awe of Mark and cfengine and do not mean to detract
from either cfengine or its author. I know that it represents
the easiest tool to use that is currently available for
managing networks.  This is why I stopped developing my own
tools and study it instead; to figure out how to make the 'best
thing so far' even better.

I have replaced the talk slides mentioned previously with what I
hope is a more equitable description of the limitations that I
am trying to address. Please try not to take these limitations
as destructive criticism; they are in fact issues outside the
declared scope of cfengine and may need to be addressed from
outside of the framework that it provides, through practice or
external tools.

--
Dr. Alva L. Couch
Associate Professor of Computer Science