Re: convergence and undoing changes

From: Viraj Alankar
Subject: Re: convergence and undoing changes
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:19:55 -0500

This is an excellent practical description of the problem. I've been
using cfengine for a few months now and am completely convinced this
(i.e. convergence) is the way sysadmin should be done. It just 'feels'
right :). I'm really fascinated with the whole computer immunology
concept and systems being able to have some intelligence to fix
themselves rather than wake me at 5am. I really think this the way of
the future.

I had decided to commit to cfengine for a network I was setting up to
see how things worked out. Normally I would describe my procedure for
configuring the systems (i.e. on a wiki or some documentation site) so
that I could setup new systems the same way, or have new sysadmins
understand it. One of the cool side effects of using cfengine was my
configuration became self-documenting, and if someone wanted to
understand how a system was setup, they only need to look at the
cfengine config. Not a replacement for documentation, but still very
helpful.

Also when I had to setup a new system in a similar config, all I had
to do was install cfengine and let the system converge. It's really
great to actually see this happen and work properly, showing practical
vs. theoretical. I was worried it wouldn't work due to my inexperience
with cfengine, but surprisingly it worked great.

So from this discussion, it seems the best method to me is to design
undos in such a way that they would work on systems that both need the
change and don't. For example, using copy: instead of editfiles: for
something like the sshd_config below, or editfiles: with zapping the
file first.

Viraj.