Re: cfengine, debconf and ldap

From: Brendan Strejcek
Subject: Re: cfengine, debconf and ldap
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 12:13:18 -0600

And to share some code:

    # Get debconf to be as unobtrusive as possible
    # man 5 debconf.conf, in package debconf-doc
    editfiles:
        { /etc/debconf.conf
            DeleteLinesStarting "Frontend:"
            DeleteLinesStarting "Admin-Email:"
            ResetSearch "1"
            LocateLineMatching "^Templates:.*"
            InsertLine "Frontend: noninteractive"
            InsertLine "Admin-Email:"
        }

    editfiles:
        { /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/30dpkg_force_confold
            AutoCreate
            EmptyEntireFilePlease
            AppendIfNoSuchLine 'DPkg::Options {"--force-confold";};'
        }

I use a Perl script to do the actual package installations based on
lists of packages for various host groups, and the actual apt-get call
looks something like:

    yes y | apt-get -qq -y install $packages >/dev/null 2>&1

This works pretty well for me, though it is not that elegant.

Best,
Brendan

--
Senior System Administrator