Re: cfengine, debconf and ldap

From: Adrian Phillips
Subject: Re: cfengine, debconf and ldap
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 07:57:24 +0100

    Matthew> On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 12:03:03PM -0600, Brendan
    Matthew> Strejcek wrote:
    >> Steve Wray wrote:

    >> I solved this problem using the sledgehammer method: get dpkg,
    >> apt-get, debconf, etc to just shut up and install the package
    >> with defaults (if you set enough --force-yes,
    >> DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive, etc, options it is possible to
    >> get it to actually be noninteractive).

    Matthew> Any package that asks questions or otherwise interrupts
    Matthew> installation when "DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive" is
    Matthew> buggy.  Report a bug, and if you want to send me the bug
    Matthew> number and I'll try and help get the problem fixed.  I'm
    Matthew> quite keen on seeing Debian packages install cleanly in a
    Matthew> non-interactive manner.

One package I've had problems with for years is proftpd but I just
checked and the /dev/tty redirection that has been in the postinst has
at last been removed although I don't know whether the solution is
correct :-

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--
Who really wrote the works of William Shakespeare ?
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shakespeare/