Re: cfengine, debconf and ldap

From: Steve Wray
Subject: Re: cfengine, debconf and ldap
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 09:07:42 +1300

Matthew Palmer wrote:
On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 12:03:03PM -0600, Brendan Strejcek wrote:

Steve Wray wrote:

debconf is set up to query these databases and to *try* not to be
interactive (sometimes this seems a lot harder than it should be :)
[snip]

I solved this problem using the sledgehammer method: get dpkg, apt-get,
debconf, etc to just shut up and install the package with defaults (if
you set enough --force-yes, DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive, etc, options
it is possible to get it to actually be noninteractive).

Any package that asks questions or otherwise interrupts installation when
"DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive" is buggy.  Report a bug, and if you want to
send me the bug number and I'll try and help get the problem fixed.  I'm
quite keen on seeing Debian packages install cleanly in a non-interactive
manner.

Setting the environment variable on the commandline seems to work reasonably well for dpkg operations, but I have found that in apt-get operations it sometimes doesn't seem to be passed 'down the chain'.

In other words in:
DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install foo bar baz

the install of package foo will get the environment variable but not bar or baz. I'm not sure but it could be a problem with the maintainer scripts.

Still, this is *kind* of getting off topic for the cfengine list :)

Then I use copy, editfiles, and other cfengine actions to do any
configuration I need.

I'll second that, from an insiders point of view.  Debconf is *not* a
registry; it is not intended, designed, or supposed to record every possible
configuration value in a package.  It is merely there to provide a basic,

it sure helps to shut the installer up and help to get the initial install of a package to be sane.

usable default configuration.  As a result, you're going to have to get very
comfy with copy and editfiles to customise your infrastructure anyway; the
amount of assistance that Debconf pre-seeding is going to give you is fairly
minimal in the grand scheme of things.

I disagree... copy is fine but editfiles, for anything non-trivial is not so good.

For example, you've been maintaining your /etc/ssh/sshd_config using editfiles.

You are asked to do an audit and to be able to report on how sshd was configured a month ago.

With editfiles, you are left gesticulating at the editfile stanza and saying something like 'if the sshd_config was like it was supposed to have been then when this editfiles ran it should have changed it in *this* way'

I'd rather keep version-controlled copies of the config file under, say, svn on a central server and distribute the changes with copy. Thats what I am doing with the package selection states. This way I can tell exactly what package selection list was in force a month ago.