Re: Querying clients

From: Steve Wray
Subject: Re: Querying clients
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 14:36:31 +1300

Matthew Palmer wrote:
On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 12:43:04PM +1300, Steve Wray wrote:

It is still useful to be able to collect data on the existing state of a machine and pass that back to the cfengine server. I can think of *lots* of reasons one might want to do this.

Please share.  I can't think of anything that cfengine can do on the server
that it can't do on the client.

Not necessarily for cfengines direct benefit.

Eg. I'm in the process of converging a set of debian hosts to management under cfengine.

I have a partial system for doing package upgrades and at the moment I would very much like to pull in, to the cfengine server, each hosts current package selection states so that these can be compared and I can use these to work toward convergence, detect implicit host classes etc.

I agree that once a set of hosts are under cfengine control and converged the need is much reduced, but what a lot of people tend to forget is that bringing hosts to convergence takes a lot of careful examination of how each host is configured; finding the implicit classes and making them explicit.

--
There is nothing more important to good government than good education.