Re: Querying clients

From: Alexander Jolk
Subject: Re: Querying clients
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 15:12:19 +0100

Steve Wray wrote:
It is still useful to be able to collect data on the existing state of a machine and pass that back to the cfengine server. I can think of *lots* of reasons one might want to do this.

I'm doing this for two purposes: lspci and dmidecode. That way, I always have an up-to-date inventory of all my machines on the cfengine server, in case I need to quickly find a serial number or a specific model of graphics card for example.

What I'm doing is I have every machine generate its files into /var/cfengine/collect/$(hostname).pci, and then copy this whole directory to the server. In order to limit the load on the server, I'm staging the copy over a tree structure in fact, the server copies from five machines that in turn, copy from five others each, and so on.

I'm using the same mechanism to send my local ssh host keys to the server, where I construct a known_hosts file to distribute, all entirely automated.

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk  * BUF Compagnie * alexj@buf.com
Tel +33-1 42 68 18 28  *  Fax +33-1 42 68 18 29