Re: Deleting lines in a file from configuration files with editfiles

From: Berthold Cogel
Subject: Re: Deleting lines in a file from configuration files with editfiles
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:26:16 +0100

Martin, Jason H wrote:
I believe the authorized_keys file supports comments -- you could have
CFE comment out the offending line.

For security reasons I want to delete the keys so nobody can mess around with them. And for comments I have to use a predefined statement in my cfengine files too. A 'CommentLinesMatchingFromFile' is missing but a 'nice to have'.

autorized_keys is only one example where I would like to use this kind of feature.

One reason is, I want some of my coworkers to do parts of the configuration, but without the ability to mess arround with my scripts. And some of my colleagues simly don't want to know how cfengine works. You don't teach old horses new tricks. :-(

Imagine: You have root login enabled only for authorized keys (passphrase proteced of course) and the workstation of a colleague is rooted. For security reasons you will revoke the keys stored on the hacked computer on all off your machines. It's not a problem to generate authorized_keys from scratch, but in some cases you have to be able to make temporary local modifications without stopping cfengine. And it would be nice if the colleague can revoke his own key himself.

Another nice feature would be to read the content from multiple files within a directory for append and delete statements. If you have several machines with different sets of authorized keys it would be nice to simply place all keys in one directory and create an append and a revoke directory for each computer. Now your coworkers simply symlink the sets of keys they like to use to the machine directorys without changing the scripts.

authorized_keys is only one example. sudo is another example.
Some of our servers are webservers where the webmasters must be able to restart their apaches. We don't have the money for full redundancy so we configured our services to be relocatable (data in AFS). So the sudo permissions must also be 'relocatable'. even for a colleague that doesn't know about cfengine.

We have a setup (a kind of debug mode) where we can disable cfengine for a specific configuration file, a single computer or a group of computers by defining a class in the configuration. And I can disable cfengine
temorary for a machine by creating a file /etc/cfdebug.
But if I'm not at work, the system still has to be manageable.

Regards,
Berthold