Re: cfservd memory/file handle leak?

From: Mark Burgess
Subject: Re: cfservd memory/file handle leak?
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:50:26 +0100

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 09:51 -0500, christian pearce wrote:
> What is the best way to track down this leak?
>
> On 12/21/05, christian pearce <christian.pearce@versatile.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone tried the latest and greatest?  Is it fixd?
> >
> > USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
> > root      2491  0.3 26.3 1080636 1069048 ?   S    Nov22 129:29 cfservd
> >
> > I am running 2.1.15 on RedHat.  It has been running for over a month
> > now and it has 1 gig of memory consumed.

nexus$ ps -elf |head
 F S      UID   PID  PPID  C PRI NI     ADDR     SZ    WCHAN    STIME
TTY      TIME CMD 8 S     mark  8065  8050  0  50 20        ?
145        ? 09:43:41 pts/3    0:00 grep cfser

Looking at my own sytsems I can see a slow growth of VM size over 3
months, on a busy server, nothing dramatic. I suggest that you randomly
restart the daemon to avoid this. That is what we used to do for dns
which has a much worse leak. Debugging this is not easy. I have gone
over things many times. It could also come from some third party library
like openssl or berkeleydb. It is very hard to know. But it is not a
serious problem. This is not going to tax anyone's servers.