Re: cfservd memory/file handle leak?

From: Paul Krizak
Subject: Re: cfservd memory/file handle leak?
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:03:07 -0600

The leak is quite problematic on a large network. I've taken preventative measures by increasing the number of file descriptors for the cfservd process and restarting it every morning, but 1 year from now when I've got 10,000 clients (or more), this will mean having to restart cfservd midway through a scheduled cfengine run just to keep it from crashing, as the process will try to garner over 20,000 file handles that it refuses to release.

I fully understand the complexity of locating leaks like this (I've dealt with my own leaky programs), but I sincerely hope that "just restart it once in a while" is not the accepted solution to the problem and that some time is devoted to locating the leak.

Paul Krizak                         5900 E. Ben White Blvd. MS 625
Advanced Micro Devices              Austin, TX  78741
Linux/Unix Systems Engineering      Phone: (512) 602-8775
Microprocessor Solutions Sector