Re: Problems configuring cfengine 2.1.17 on Solaris10

From: Kurt Reimer
Subject: Re: Problems configuring cfengine 2.1.17 on Solaris10
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 11:45:52 -0500 (EST)

The real pain is the that cfengine requires a non-system version of db
(and libcrypto?) which need to be linked statically because `cfexecd
-L' isn't useful, since cfexecd links them itself.  You either risk
distributing binaries which won't load and break the client, or you're
statically linked against an openssl library that may get a security
alert.

I have no idea what this means. Cfengine certainly does not require a
"non-system" version of db or lib crypto. They do not need to be
statically linked. What kind of nonsense is this?

I wouldn't call this complete nonsense (maybe just incomplete nonsense). I think that all Dave Love means is that the BerkeleyDB is not part of the default distribution for most sysV-like Unixes. (It IS part of the standard BSD distributions, I think.)

Does the cfexecd program need to use any code from the BerkeleyDB libraries in order to act as a wrapper for launching cfagent or other cfengine programs? If it does and these libraries are in a non-standard place, then cfexecd would not be able to tell itself about that non-standard location via its "-L" switch. I think that's what Dave means by "cfexecd -L isn't useful", though I'm not prepared to agree at this point, not having walked through the source.

Yours,

Kurt Reimer