Re: monitoring cfagent(s)

From: Matthew Palmer
Subject: Re: monitoring cfagent(s)
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 09:24:28 +1100

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 04:58:16PM -0500, Dmitry Sazonov wrote:
> Is there any cfengine class that will tell me that all rules were
> processed, but no action were necessary - meaning that the host state is
> as desired (convergent).
> If "corrective" actions were required - I'd like to know that too, as
> if the actions are required on every run - there must be something
> wrong.
>
> Based on this class(?) I could fire a syslog message (submit a passive
> check) to Nagios.

Create a passive check that fires from an e-mail received, and times out if
no relevant e-mail is received for a period of time, so the check can go
critical if no e-mail is received (to say "cfagent doesn't appear to be
running") or it can also go critical (or warning) when an e-mail is received
that contains evidence of work being done (I tend to use cfagent -I, so I
would probably check to see if any output was printed in the e-mail).

No cfengine hacking required!

- Matt

--
"For once, Microsoft wasn't exaggerating when they named it the 'Jet Engine'
-- your data's the seagull."