Re: defaultroute problem with multiple network interfaces

From: Atom Powers
Subject: Re: defaultroute problem with multiple network interfaces
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 16:16:22 -0800

The trailing period probably shouldn't be there, if it does anything
at all it probably adds "and any" or "and none" to the class?

I don't use the netconfig commands, so I can't be much help; but I
would write a testing script that looks something like this:
----
#!/var/cfengine/bin/cfagent -qvKf
alerts:
128_32_183.!169_229_58::
  "default route 128.32.183.254"
169_229_58::
  "default route 169.229.58.1"
----

That will allow your to run the test config directly so you can play
around with the classes until you find one that does what you want,
without breaking anything.

On 1/6/06, Steve Sizemore <steve@ls.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Thanks for the response.
>
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 02:44:35PM -0800, Atom Powers wrote:
> > Maybe:
> > ----
> > defaultroute:
> >    128_32_183.!169_229_58::
> >            128.32.183.254
> >
> >        169_229_58.!128_32_183.::
> >            169.229.58.1
>
> I don't understand what the extra "." is supposed to be doing, but
> it does seem to make a difference. This stops the error messages,
> because the host with dual NICs is now not in either of those
> classes.  However, if I add it back explicitly, the errors come
> back, so the problem isn't solved.
>
> What does the trailing . on the class mean?
>
> > use cfagent -qv to see which classes are getting defined.
>
> Yes, I always do that in testing mode, and I can see that both 128_32_183
> and 169_229_58 are defined for that host.
>
> Thanks.
> Steve
> --
> Steve Sizemore <steve (at) ls.berkeley.edu>, (510) 642-8570
> Unix System Manager
>     Dept. of Mathematics and College of Letters and Science
>     University of California, Berkeley

Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--