Re: cfservd not creating cfservd.pid

From: PAUL WILLIAMSON
Subject: Re: cfservd not creating cfservd.pid
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:13:16 -0500

>>> "Jeremy Mates" <jmates@sial.org> 01/17/06 1:52 PM >>>
> > * PAUL WILLIAMSON <pwilliamson@mandtbank.com>
> > I have a cfservd startup script, but since no pid exists, the
> > status command isn't working because no pid is found.
> > Should one be created by starting up cfservd?
>
> Why not just run cfengine at startup (e.g. from rc.local, or
> a init script that runs cfexecd -F), and let cfengine
> determine whether or not cfservd needs to run?

That's essentially what I was trying to do.  The documentation
is very good on explaining what options are there, but no
recommendation on which is the best way.  I wasn't sure if
running cfservd at startup was best, or cfexecd.  Once I get past
that, I'll have a little easier time.

I'm just having a hard time letting go of the
/etc/init.d/<processname> (in this case cfenvd or cfservd) mentality
to managing the process for cfengine.

Is it normal to feel this confused about cfengine?  Probably not, as
I'm working on just a few hours of sleep after staying up my
my sick daughter...

Paul