Re: RCSs and CFEngine

From: Scott Lackey
Subject: Re: RCSs and CFEngine
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:37:23 -0500

 I' ve had a pretty good experience using CVS, except when changes get merged, that always breaks something and causes a headache, so if you have multiple admins accessing the same configs, this could cause a problem. SVN is generally better because it has "truly atomic commits" that use the features of the filesystem to ensure locks and whatnot. The main problem with this, though, is that SVN requries that you not use an NFS or otherwise shared partition. It has to be a "real" ufs, ext3 etc.. partition, which ruled it out for me more than once. I usually just use CVS and hope for the best.