Re: RCSs and CFEngine

From: Jamie Wilkinson
Subject: Re: RCSs and CFEngine
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 17:40:35 +1100

On Tue Jan 17, 2006 at 22:11:04 -0800, Robert Helmer wrote:
>If I was starting from scratch, I'd probably try to go with Subversion,
>since I really believe the atomic commits, rename etc. features are
>a good idea, although I must say that CVSup is really the ideal way to
>get both of the benefits of an export and an update. I am
>not sure if there is anything equivalent to extract files from
>Subversion's database without having a real workspace, or
>waiting for a full export.

I'm not a fan of having cvs/svn/etc update the cfinputs directory
automatically.  We deliberately chose to use rsync to roll out the cfinputs
manually, so that the cfmaster never has access to the repository directly.

This means you can control access to who can make things go live using SSH
keys, but still let minions check things in, and you also make sure that if
the server is compromised then the repository won't be (necessarily).