Multiple steps for installing?

From: PAUL WILLIAMSON
Subject: Multiple steps for installing?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:25:40 -0500

I have to install a piece of software via a tarball.
In reading through the documentation, I can't
quite figure out how to do the following:

1.  Check to see if a specific directory exists and not
follow through with the rest if it's there.
2.  Create a directory
3.  Copy a file from the policy host to each client.
4.  Untar the file
5.  Create a symlink to that directory

On a related note, I need to check for a directory
first and delete it and the associated symlink if
present.

In plain english, there's are about 10 different
versions of a piece of software installed on
all my solaris boxen (41 as of this writing) and
I need to delete all but the correct version and
then install that version.

I'm sure there's a way to do this, I just haven't
figured it out yet.
Some other stuff, but I'll ask about that later.

Thanks a ton people!
Paul