Re: cfengine Mac packages, universal binaries, and mass deployment

From: Jason Edgecombe
Subject: Re: cfengine Mac packages, universal binaries, and mass deployment
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:06:53 -0500

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback. I figured touching each one was required. I'm creating a custom installer to handle things.

Did your config require cfengine to be run 3 times to complete the setup?

Chris Kacoroski wrote:

Jason,

I have pushed cfengine out to 1500 macs. The only way was to touch each one by hand as the Mac has no package management (this was talked about in the Apple Guru talk at LISA'05 -- Apple is working on a package management system for the future). Since we had timbuktu on most machines, we hired a person who just installed a cfengine installer that we created. The installer was a self extracting archive that:

- setup the cfengine keys with the server
- installed the basic cfengine  binaries
- ran cfengine 3 times to complete the machine configuration.