[OT] Re: cfengine Mac packages, universal binaries, and mass deployment

From: Jason Edgecombe
Subject: [OT] Re: cfengine Mac packages, universal binaries, and mass deployment
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:13:28 -0500

Brendan Strejcek wrote:

Chris Kacoroski wrote:

The only way was to touch each one by hand as the Mac has no package
management

I don't think this is completely true, though I admin to not having done
complicated package management on OS X.

For how to install packages at the command line:

   man 8 installer

Example use:

   installer -verbose -pkg DarwinPorts.mpkg -target /

And here is a page that decribes how to build a package:

   http://s.sudre.free.fr/Stuff/PackageMaker_Howto.html

(Sorry for the slightly off-topic message.)

The installer does allow you to install packages. I'm actually creating an installer package to make the deployment go smoother. The problem is that there is no command to REMOVE a Mac package, even though the pieces seem to be in place. Mac packages are not as robust as debian or RPM package managers.

Jason