pre-2.1.15 -> 2.1.18 upgrade warning

From: Brendan Strejcek
Subject: pre-2.1.15 -> 2.1.18 upgrade warning
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:02:28 -0600

I have been putting off the upgrade for a while due to the protocol
incompatibility, and the sheer number of architectures I need to
upgrade, but I decided to give it a shot based on the posts that went by
today.

As suggested, I started by upgrading the server. The cfservd part of the
upgrade went smoothly, and my clients are able to talk to the policy
host just fine. However, it seems like the parser is stricter regarding
quotation rules.

For example, the following code fragment causes cfagent to hang, because
it starts up an interactive Python interpreter:

    classes:
        cheetah_inst = (
            ReturnsZero(/bin/sh -c "
                /usr/local/bin/python -c 'import Cheetah' >/dev/null 2>&1
            ")
        )

This used to work. So, if you have played fast and easy with nested
quotes of different types, you may have some migration work ahead of
you.

I remember quote issues being discussed on the list relatively recently,
but I just wanted to point out this concrete change in behavior. Ah,
yes, here is the original thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.cfengine.help/browse_frm/thread/fcafb1aceac52a4a/b95b4dd6dde7f13f#b95b4dd6dde7f13f

I'm still not sure what quoting style to use now, but I'll respond to
this message when I figure it out.

Best,
Brendan

--