Re: Recursive copy problem in cygwin

From: Marco van Beek
Subject: Re: Recursive copy problem in cygwin
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 09:32:52 +0000

Hi,

We used to run Cygwin on Windows 2000 so that we could use rsync to sync files between a Linux box and a Windows box. We found that something in the set-up had problems with the combined length of directories and filenames but we never got to the bottom of it.

I have no idea if this is relevant, but I thought I would mention it.

Regards,

Marco.

Trask wrote:
I am running cfengine 2.1.17 on XP running cygwin.  I have a good bit
of cfengine configured and running properly, however I am stuck when
it comes to recursive copies (when I set "recurse=inf" in the copy
command).  Files in the directory I specify are copied over, as well
as directories -- but they are empty.  Everything contained in these
nested directories is NOT copied over and gives an error message.

From the error messages, it seems like cfengine is either not handling
the back slashes in the paths it is supposed to copy or it shouldn't
ever be seeing back slashes in the first place.

Below is an example of what I am talking about.  The most interesting
line to me is this one from cfservd (note the slashes in the path):
"cfservd: Couldn't stat filename
/cfeng_config/cfengine/repo/perlmodules/File\NCopy.pm from host
clientmachine.example.com".

Thanks for any help.

Trask

example:
------------------------------
from cfagent.conf:

copy:
    any::
        /cfeng_config/cfengine/repo/perlmodules/
            dest=/var/cfengine/repo/perlmodules/
            recurse=inf
            ignore=CVS
            backup=false
            owner=root
            group=${rootgroup}
            mode=775
            server=${mcfserver}

-----------------------

Here is a snipped from "cfagent -v --no-splay" on the client running
cygwin (notice the error when it tries to copy NCopy.pm):

cfengine:clientmachine: Object /var/cfengine/repo/perlmodules\DBI.pm
had permission 600, changed it to 775
cfengine:clientmachine: Object /var/cfengine/repo/perlmodules\File had
permission 755, changed it to 775
Opening
/cfeng_config/cfengine/repo/perlmodules/File->/var/cfengine/repo/perlmodules\File
cfengine:clientmachine: Server returned error:  Host authentication
failed. Did you forget the domain name or IP/DNS address registration
(for ipv4 or ipv6)?
cfengine:clientmachine: (Can't stat
/cfeng_config/cfengine/repo/perlmodules/File\NCopy.pm)

---------------------------

On the server side, I get errors like this:

cfservd: Host clientmachine.example.com granted access to
/cfeng_config/cfengine/repo/perlmodules/DBI.pm
cfservd: Host clientmachine.example.com granted access to
/cfeng_config/cfengine/repo/perlmodules/DBI.pm
cfservd: Host clientmachine.example.com granted access to
/cfeng_config/cfengine/repo/perlmodules/File
cfservd: Host clientmachine.example.com granted access to
/cfeng_config/cfengine/repo/perlmodules/File
cfservd: Couldn't stat filename
/cfeng_config/cfengine/repo/perlmodules/File\NCopy.pm from host
clientmachine.example.com

cfservd: lstatcfservd: Unspecified refusal by server
cfservd: From (host=clientmachine.example.com,user=root,ip=::ffff:123.456.78.90)