Unknown host: $(smtpserver)

From: Atom Powers
Subject: Unknown host: $(smtpserver)
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 17:09:03 -0800

I am been getting this email from my cfengine servers; and I can't for
the life of me figure out what is causing it. It seems to me that if
it was really broken I wouldn't be recieving the error message.
--
Subject: Cron <root@luna> /var/cfengine/bin/cfexecd -F

Unknown host: $(smtpserver)
Make sure that fully qualified names can be looked up at your site!
i.e. www.gnu.org, not just www. If you use NIS or /etc/hosts
make sure that the full form is registered too as an alias!
--

In update.conf and cfagent.conf I have:
--
control:
smtpserver      = ( smtp.digipen.edu )    # used by cfexecd
--
And here's my debug output:
--
apowers@charon:~$sudo cfexecd -qvg -d2 -F
cfexecd Debug mode: running in foreground
Directory for /var/cfengine/inputs/update.conf exists. Okay
Directory for /var/cfengine/bin/cfagent -D from_cfexecd exists. Okay
Directory for /var/cfengine/outputs/spooled_reports exists. Okay
cfpopen(/var/cfengine/bin/cfagent -Q
smtpserver,sysadm,fqhost,host,domain,ipaddress,EmailMaxLines,EmailFrom,EmailTo
-D from_cfexecd)
smtpserver/$(smtpserver)
sysadm=daroot@digipen.edu
fqhost/charon.digipen.edu
host/charon
domain/digipen.edu
ipaddress/10.10.0.22
EmailMaxLines/$(EmailMaxLines)
EmailFrom/$(EmailFrom)
EmailTo/$(EmailTo)
EmailTo/$(EmailTo)
cfpclose(pp)
cfpopen - Waiting for process 72245
Got(to:daroot@digipen.edu,serv:$(smtpserver),fqhost:charon.digipen.edu,host:charon,domain:digipen.edu,ip:10.10.0.22,max:100,from:)
cfpopen(/var/cfengine/bin/cfagent -z -D from_cfexecd)
cfpclose(pp)
cfpopen - Waiting for process 72254
No schedule defined in cfagent.conf, defaulting to Min00_05
Appending [Min00_05]
Starting server

cfpopen(/var/cfengine/bin/cfagent -Q
smtpserver,sysadm,fqhost,host,domain,ipaddress,EmailMaxLines,EmailFrom,EmailTo
-D from_cfexecd)
smtpserver/$(smtpserver)
sysadm=daroot@digipen.edu
fqhost/charon.digipen.edu
host/charon
domain/digipen.edu
ipaddress/10.10.0.22
EmailMaxLines/$(EmailMaxLines)
EmailFrom/$(EmailFrom)
EmailTo/$(EmailTo)
EmailTo/$(EmailTo)
cfpclose(pp)
cfpopen - Waiting for process 72262
Got(to:daroot@digipen.edu,serv:$(smtpserver),fqhost:charon.digipen.edu,host:charon,domain:digipen.edu,ip:10.10.0.22,max:100,from:)
cfpopen(/var/cfengine/bin/cfagent -z -D from_cfexecd)
cfpclose(pp)
cfpopen - Waiting for process 72270
No schedule defined in cfagent.conf, defaulting to Min00_05
Appending [Min00_05]

  LocalExec at Wed Feb  1 16:40:20 2006

cfpopen(/var/cfengine/bin/cfagent -q -Dfrom_cfexecd)
cfpclose(pp)
cfpopen - Waiting for process 72278
Closing fp
Comparing files  /var/cfengine/outputs/previous with
/var/cfengine/outputs/cf_charon_digipen_edu_2006-02-01--16-40-20
ChecksumFile(m,/var/cfengine/outputs/previous)
ChecksumFile(m,/var/cfengine/outputs/cf_charon_digipen_edu_2006-02-01--16-40-20)
Mailing results of
(/var/cfengine/outputs/cf_charon_digipen_edu_2006-02-01--16-40-20) to
(daroot@digipen.edu)
Looking up hostname $(smtpserver)

Unknown host: $(smtpserver)
Make sure that fully qualified names can be looked up at your site!
i.e. www.gnu.org, not just www. If you use NIS or /etc/hosts
make sure that the full form is registered too as an alias!

--
Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--