Re: "stealing" config files?

From: Atom Powers
Subject: Re: "stealing" config files?
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 15:20:59 -0800

They way you deploy the configuration to the clients is entirely up to
you. The "default" way to do is to copy all files to all clients using
a "copy" statement in update.conf; which will show any root user all
the files. But you can easily restrict this by creating classes and
seperate copy definitions in you update.conf.

I keep all my files in a subversion repository, and although I don't,
I could easily only checkout the files that are required by each host.

Others may keep their files on an NFS volume and use server ACLs to
restrict access.

The problem with most of the ways I can think of to restrict this is
that you have to define a class on the client, and anybody that has
root access can look at what classes can be defined and spoof those
classes locally. So if you really want to prevent some config files
from getting out you have to use server-side ACLs of some kind.