Re: difficulties communicating between cfengine hosts (still)

From: paul beard
Subject: Re: difficulties communicating between cfengine hosts (still)
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 05:40:49 -0800

Hmm, so using a hosts file as my test (copying to /tmp, non- destructively) was a hint I didn't realize I was giving myself ;-)

Thanks for this.

On Feb 15, 2006, at 12:50 AM, Marco van Beek wrote:

I would just like to add that almost all our our authentication problems have been caused by some form of lookup problem. This is what I now do:

1) Check both /etc/hosts files - make sure localhost/localdomain is only on the line for 127.0.0.1, and not the public/private IP address (which should have the full name & short alias).

2) Run /bin/hostname and make sure it gives you the full name. I also tend to run "hostname -d" to check the domain name, hostname - f to double check the FQDN, and hostname -s to check the shortname. I do this to double check as I think (and I never got to the bottom) that hostname on it's own was checking the hosts file, and hostname with an argument checked the hostname file.

3) Check both forward & reverse dns at BOTH ends. (I don't think reverse DNS matters too much to CFEngine but is a good indicator of a bad DNS setup somewhere). You should get the same results.

All the other authentication problems have either been badly configured cfservd conf files, or a bad key (fogetting to press the insert key in vi before pasting the key in is my favourite!).

--
Paul Beard
contact info: www.paulbeard.org/paulbeard.vcf

Are you trying to win an argument or solve a problem?