RE: cfservd under Solaris 10 SMF

From: Young, Darren
Subject: RE: cfservd under Solaris 10 SMF
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:50:23 -0600

> In your SMF manifest set an environment variable with method context.
>
>        <method_context>
>                <method_environment>
>                        <envvar
>                                name="LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
>                                value="/usr/sfw/lib"
>                                />
>                </method_environment>
>        </method_context>

I'll try that out and see how it works, athough I've never been happy
with LD_LIBRARY_PATH since it's something that I have to set in many
different places to work. And, if the location of a library changes that
variable has to be set everywhere. Then someone quits that made those
changes, software gets updated and everything breaks. Etc etc.

Didn't know I could set those in the manifest though, learned something
new today. Thanks.

> For the simple case, In cron you should be able to do
> something like (You should test this, if you want to use it)
>
> 30 * * * * LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/sfw/lib /path/to/executable

Tried that previously and it didn't work hence the crle change. Kept
getting mail to root from cron telling me that cfexecd can't find ssl.
Again though, just one more place to update in the event of a change.
Going to try a static compile or a -R/usr/sfw/lib with Sun Studio 11 as
well, curious to see how that will do.

> The thought of programatically changing crle doesn't appeal to me.
> If you do it wrong it breaks a large number of things.

Yep, just need to be sure to *append* to it and not overwrite the
defaults since removing /lib and /usr/lib from there indeed does nasty
things. Like using ld.so.conf on Linux, change it in one place and never
set LD_LIBRARY_PATH again. Just my personal taste, I prefer changes in
one place as opposed to all over that can be replicated and maintained
easily from system to system.