EditFiles not processinf crontab

From: Atom Powers
Subject: EditFiles not processinf crontab
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:04:26 -0800

I discovered this morning that none of my EdifFiles actions on crontab
are doing anything, not even producing errors. Actually, that is a
little bit of an exageration, running with "-d2" shows that the
EditFiles block in update.conf is getting enforced and all my actions
are getting read. But after that, when it is actually processing the
EditFiles actions crontab isn't even mentioned, like it never existed.

Is there something about update.conf that is making crontab invisible
to the rest of the run?

In update.conf I have an EditFiles like this:
        { # cfengine installs itself as a cron job
        /etc/crontab
        BeginGroupIfNoLineContaining "cfexecd"
                Append "#"
                Append "#configuration engine"
                Append "0 * * * * root /var/cfengine/bin/cfexecd -F"
                DefineInGroup "newcron"
        EndGroup
        }

In my main config files I then (try to) clean out the crontab and
install a new one:
        { # crontab
        /etc/crontab
        AutoCreate
        EmptyEntireFilePlease
        InsertFile "${FileSource}/common/templates/crontab"
        DefineClasses "newcron"
        }

In some of my secondary config files I (try to) add more to the crontab:
        { # restart apache after logs rotate
        /etc/crontab
        BeginGroupIfNoLineContaining "apachectl graceful"
                Append "#restart apache after logs rotate"
                Append "10 1 * * * root /usr/local/sbin/apachectl graceful"
                DefineInGroup "newcron"
        EndGroup
        }

Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--