Null filename on YellowDog

From: Chris St. Pierre
Subject: Null filename on YellowDog
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:25:46 -0600 (CST)

I apologize for cross-posting, but I'm talking to myself on the
newsgroup. :)

I'm in the process of bringing Cfengine up on a number of diverse
hosts.  It's working fine on most of them, but it's not working on our
two YellowDog Linux (PPC) machines.  When I try to run cfagent on the
client ("students"), I get this:

# cfagent -v
[...snip...]
cfengine:: Strong authentication of server=lewis connection confirmed
cfengine:: /var/cfengine/inputs/cfagent.conf wasn't at destination
(copying)
cfengine:: Copying from lewis:

It hangs at this point until I C-c it, which gives me:

cfengine:: Received signal 2 (SIGINT) while doing [pre-lock-state]
cfengine:: Logical start time Thu Feb 23 08:06:08 2006
cfengine:: This sub-task started really at Thu Feb 23 08:06:08 2006

Starting the server ("lewis") with -d2 gives me the following output:

[...snip...]
cfservd: Host students.nebrwesleyan.edu granted access to
/var/cfengine/inputs/cfagent.conf
Clocks were off by 0
StatFile(/var/cfengine/inputs/cfagent.conf)
OK: type=0
 mode=644
 lmode=0
 uid=0
 gid=0
 size=5162
 atime=1140703206
 mtime=1140646941
Transaction Send[t 68][Packed text]
Attempting to send 76 bytes
SendSocketStream, sent 76
Transaction Send[t 3][Packed text]
Attempting to send 11 bytes
SendSocketStream, sent 11
RecvSocketStream(8)
    (Concatenated 8 from stream)
Transaction Receive [t 9][]
RecvSocketStream(9)
    (Concatenated 9 from stream)
cfservd: Couldn't stat filename  from host students.nebrwesleyan.edu

cfservd: lstatcfservd: Host authorization/authentication failed or
access denied
Transaction Send[t 114][Packed text]
Attempting to send 122 bytes
SendSocketStream, sent 122
cfservd: From
(host=students.nebrwesleyan.edu,user=root,ip=::ffff:10.12.1.6)
RecvSocketStream(8)
Transmission empty or timed out...
Transaction Receive [][]
RecvSocketStream(0)
cfservd terminating NULL transmission!
Terminating thread...
***Closing socket 5 from ::ffff:10.12.1.6

Note that there are two spaces between "stat filename" and "from
host".  The problem is that the file to transfer is not getting set
properly at one end or the other; running "cfagent -v -d2" on the
client gives the following:

[...snip...]
ImageCopy(/var/cfengine/inputs/cfagent.conf,/var/cfengine/inputs/cfagent.conf,+700,-7077)

ExpandVarstring(lewis)
IgnoredOrExcluded()
file /var/cfengine/inputs/cfagent.conf class any was not excluded
cfengine:: /var/cfengine/inputs/cfagent.conf wasn't at destination
(copying)
cfengine:: Copying from lewis:
CopyReg(,/var/cfengine/inputs/cfagent.conf)
This is a remote copy from server: lewis
Transaction Send[t 9][Packed text]
Attempting to send 17 bytes
SendSocketStream, sent 17
RecvSocketStream(2048)
    (Concatenated 122 from stream)

That's the point where it freezes.  For some reason, one of the
arguments to CopyReg is null.  Given that Cfengine is running just
fine on eight other machines with the same exact update.conf file, I'm
thinking that this might be a bug with Cfengine on YellowDog Linux.
Is anyone out there running Cfengine on YDL?  Does anyone have any
ideas about how to solve my problem?  I looked through the code, but
I'm not a C hacker, so I got lost pretty fast.  Thanks for your help!

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University