Re: Strange copying

From: Roger Harrysson
Subject: Re: Strange copying
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 09:27:35 +0100

Thanks for the quick feedback!

I very much think (and hope :-) that the mistake is on my side.
My configuration is not that long though. I show the two files of interest below. The strange copy happens to any file edited on the policyhost for the group DNS.
It actually happens to any group, but DNS failure didn't make my boss happy.
If you have the time, please help me.
I could send any extra info needed. I have tried with debug output, but the only info I get is that the file is being copied, ...not why. md5 wouldn't explain this, since the copy would not wait until 01:30 in the morning. The old file is saved, and has the time of when the cfengine replaced it in a correct way the last time.
By the way, I'm on Solaris 8 if that is of interest.

Kind regards,
Roger Harrysson

*************** cfagent.conf *****************************************

groups:
ALL = ( saturn io amalthea titan janus rhea europa callisto ganymede proteus calypso hadar bianca kuma ) ZH = ( saturn io amalthea titan janus rhea europa callisto ganymede proteus calypso hadar bianca kuma )
   AVMAIL = ( none )
   VSF = ( ganymede callisto europa )
   FALLBACK = ( rhea titan )
   RESOLVER = ( rhea titan proteus calypso )
   BUSINESSMAIL = ( janus amalthea )
   MAILOUT = ( proteus calypso )
   DNS = ( hadar kuma )
   NTPCLIENT = ( ALL -saturn -titan -ganymede )

control:
   domain          = ( ip-plus.net )  # Needed for remote copy
actionsequence = ( links directories files copy editfiles tidy processes shellcommands )
   master_copy = ( /data/cfengine )
   policyhost = ( saturn-lan )
   smtpserver = ( mailout.ip-plus.net )
   sysadm     = ( roger@ip-plus.net )
   editfilesize = ( 100000 )

   # Avoid server contention

   SplayTime = ( 1 )

import:
   NTPCLIENT.cf
   DNS.cf
   ALL.cf
   ZH.cf
   AVMAIL.cf
   VSF.cf
   FALLBACK.cf
   RESOLVER.cf
   BUSINESSMAIL.cf
   MAILOUT.cf

************ imported DNS.cf *************************************

files:
DNS::
  /etc/bind recurse=inf owner=named group=sys action=fixall
/services/dns/var recurse=inf mode=755 owner=named group=sys action=fixall /services/dns/.ssh recurse=inf mode=600 owner=named group=sys action=fixall

copy:

DNS::

   $(master_copy)/DNS/etc      dest=/etc
                               mode=a=r
                               owner=named
                               group=sys
                               recurse=inf
                               server=$(policyhost)

   $(master_copy)/DNS/var/cfengine   dest=/var/cfengine
                               mode=0755
                               owner=root
                               group=sys
                               recurse=inf
                               server=$(policyhost)

   $(master_copy)/DNS/services/dns/var    dest=/services/dns/var
                               mode=0755
                               owner=named
                               group=sys
                               recurse=inf
                               server=$(policyhost)

   $(master_copy)/DNS/services/dns/.ssh    dest=/services/dns/.ssh
                               mode=0600
                               owner=named
                               group=sys
                               recurse=inf
                               server=$(policyhost)

shellcommands:

DNS::
                       "/var/cfengine/ipplus/restartDNS.pl"

Mark Burgess wrote:

It sounds very much as though the mistake is on yur side. My guess is
that you are using checksum md5 copying and that you have some kind of
contradiction in your files. But without more info it is hard to
diagnose. There are no known problems with copying that could lead to
this behaviour unless you have made a mistake -- it's easily done.