Puppet module for cfengine

From: Luke Kanies
Subject: Puppet module for cfengine
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 18:40:11 -0500

Hi all,

There has been a module for using Puppet[1] from within Cfengine for a long time now, but I only just now got around to writing up a how- to on it:

http://reductivelabs.com/projects/puppet/documentation/ cfengine_module.html

Basically, you can reuse your existing class structure within Puppet, since the module will load all Puppet classes that are set within Cfengine.

This is useful because Puppet supports many high-level types that are difficult to manage within Cfengine, like users, groups, and packages, and it also supports defined types that resemble functions but create first-class Puppet types. For instance, this is how I create the Apache configurations for my Trac sites:

define tracsite(path = "/etc/apache2/trac", owner) {
    file { "trac-$name":
        path => "/etc/apache2/trac/$name.conf",
        owner => $owner,
        group => root,
        mode => 644,
        require => file[apacheconf],
        content => template("tracsite.erb"),
        notify => service[apache2]
    }

    symlink { "tracsym-$name":
        path => "/export/docroots/reductivelabs.com/cgi-bin/$name.cgi",
        ensure => "/usr/share/trac/cgi-bin/trac.cgi"
    }
}

Then I can call it as many times as I want:

tracsite { puppet: owner => apache }

This is actually an internal type that I use from within a larger definition that actually creates the Trac database and configuration; you can find it here:

http://prmweb.hezmatt.org/recipes/show/4

Feel free to contact me with any questions, or you can join the user list[2] or #puppet in irc.freenode.net and look for me as lkanies (or 'laktop', sometimes).

1 - http://reductivelabs.com/projects/puppet